About Me

Welcome to a blog about a film-maker, one who could be described as a story teller with an experimental approach to technology.

Hello, my name is James Tomkinson and this is my microscopic slice of the world wide web which should give an idea of what I do.

I think we can agree that people make films in a number of different genres. Mine is drama, a human story of either fact or fiction recreated in a gripping performance. Although that isn’t a dictionary definition it is what I write and capture either ‘in camera’ or on-stage.

An interest in building things has stayed with me throughout my younger years. I have to admit my DIY skills could use a little polishing yet that didn’t stop me from designing and refining the designs for my stereoscopic 3D rig since 2010 the results of which are on my YouTube channel.

Feel free to have a look around.

Saturday 22 September 2012

Performance Capture


#0003

Performance Capture

After the initial success of developing my own home-built 3D camera system in 2010 I have set about achieving something much harder. A Performances capture system.

Call me mad if you like.

Recently I started writing a short script that I can use to test if the system will work before attempting to take it to a higher level. More details on that to follow.

The main issue I’m facing at the moment is a lack of cameras that are suitable for the job. As I need a minimum of six to run the system and each needs to be capable of running at at least 720p resolution at 60fps. As you can imagine, that’s not cheap!
I’ll be able to say more about this when I’ve completed some initial tests.
I’m currently riding on the knowledge that I managed to achieve 3D video before 3D cameras hit the market, however I am starting to feel a bit out of my depth.

Part of my current 3D setup

No comments:

Post a Comment